State Park FAQs

State Park FAQs

Do you allow hunting and fishing in the parks?


All state parks are considered game refuges, except as otherwise posted. Hunting or trapping may be permitted in the park where such activities are specifically authorized by written agreement and approval of the Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department Commission and the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation Commission. 


  • Fishing is permitted in all areas of the state park system except in those areas which have been posted and designated as restricted.
  • Fishing shall be in accordance with the laws and regulations set forth by the Department of Wildlife Conservation.
  • Bow fishing is restricted to primitive areas of the park with an authorized permit from the park manager or park ranger.

Park gift shops and offices do not sell fishing permits. Proper licensing must be obtained through the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation and can be purchased at a dealer or through their website.

Do you have any first-come-first-serve campsites?

There are no first-come-first-serve (FCFS) campsites at Oklahoma State Parks. All RV and tent campsites along with many pavilions and shelters must be reserved online at this link or through the individual park page.

All group camps and some additional shelters must be reserved in advance by calling the park office. 

How many tents can I put on a site?

In a tent camping area, one tent is allowed per site. One child's tent may also be placed on that site at no additional cost. When staying on an RV site, one child's tent will be allowed at no extra cost. Any other tent placed on an RV site accompanying an RV is charged a base rate fee of $16 per night, per site, in addition to the fee for the RV. Managers at individual parks have discretionary allowance with regards to the number of tents per site for organized groups in tent camping and primitive areas.

Is tent camping allowed at RV campsites?

Tents are allowed to set up in RV spots with same rules applicable for additional tents. 

What are the quiet hours in the park?

Campground quiet hours are from 11:00 pm to 6:00 am. Generators are not allowed during this time.

How long can I stay at a state park?

You may stay in the same campsite for up to 14 days. Please see the park manager for extension requests. Extension request approvals are based on the season and availability.

Are pets allowed in state parks?

Pets are allowed in the state parks as long as they are kept on a leash no longer than 10 feet, supervised at all times and cleaned up after. 

Pets are permitted in some cabins and lodge rooms for an additional fee. 

Are magnet fishing and metal detecting allowed in state parks?

Magnet fishing is prohibited at all state parks. Metal detecting is only allowed by permit of the park manager or director of state parks. 

How can I make a reservation at an Oklahoma State Park?

Visit the state parks booking page to make a cabin, lodge or campsite reservation. Reservations can also be made from each individual park page. 

Where do I get wood for my camp fire?

Check with the park staff or park manager first. There are some instances where collecting firewood from the forest floor is permissible. Some park offices sell firewood. Park guests may also bring charcoal and starter logs if they choose. Firewood from outside the park is discouraged to help prevent the spread of harmful insects. Please remember to always observe local burn ban regulations. Click here to find the current burn ban status issued by the Oklahoma Forestry Services.

Are golf carts and utility vehicles allowed in Oklahoma State Parks?

Carts are allowed to be used by persons with physical disabilities as well as other persons with the proper permit and approval from the park manager. Permits may require a fee. Parks that do allow golf carts with proper permit include Cherokee Landing, Foss, Fort Cobb, Great Plains, Greenleaf, Lake Texoma, McGee Creek and Sequoyah Bay. For information about using golf carts at any park not listed above, please call the park directly.

Golf carts may only be operated within the boundary of the designated state park during daylight hours. The operator must possess a valid driver's license and may only go on roadways with a posted speed of 25 miles an hour or less.

Can I rent a boat in a state park?

Most state parks do not offer direct boat rental. This service is generally provided by the park marina concessionaire. 

Where can I find more Oklahoma State Park information?

To find out more about the wide variety of state parks in Oklahoma, please visit the Oklahoma State Parks page on There you'll find a state parks map to choose the perfect location for your adventure. Each park has its own page featuring articles, photos and videos as well as individual park maps. A variety of free brochures are also available to make your Oklahoma State Park vacation a success.


For information on grants, visit the official OTRD site.